May 15, 2007

Peace Pilgrim


Of all of the women that I have researched and shared with you, I find "Peace Pilgrim" to be one of the most, if not the most inspiring and extraordinary. Her story has really touched my heart, and her cause is one that I believe in with all my heart, Peace.
Her name was Mildred Lisette Norman Ryder, and she was born on a small farm in New Jersey in 1908.
After walking through the forest all night one night praying for her calling in life, she underwent a great spiritual experience. Mildred had this to say of the experience:

"I felt a complete willingness, without any reservations, to give my life - to dedicate my life - to service. "If you can use me for anything, please use me!" I prayed to God. "Here I am-take all of me; use me as you will. I withhold nothing." Then a great peace came over me. I experienced a complete willingness without reservations whatsoever, to give my life to something beyond my self."
A biography of Peace Pilgrim by Marta Daniels says this of her experience:
She began radically simplifying her life. She decided to get rid of unnecessary possessions and frivolous activities. She became a vegetarian, disciplined herself to live on ten dollars a week, and reduced her wardrobe to two dresses. She joined the Endurance Hiking Club, and undertook wilderness treks, to increase her physical strength and to gain experience in simple living. She said that she wanted to practice putting material things in their proper place, "realizing that they are there for use, but relinquishing them when they are not useful." She said she wanted to "experience and learn to appreciate the great freedom of simplicity."


During her 15-year inner preparation, she discovered the difference between the willingness to give of herself and the actual giving. She described this period as a time when she was engaged in a great struggle between ego and conscience, or between her "lower, self-centered nature," and the "higher, God-centered nature."

All and all, Peace Pilgrim walked 28,000 miles in three decades, and changes thousands of lives. She vowed to "remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food." She is a woman who has truly inspired me. She had a long amazing, and enlightening life, and I could go on for pages about it, but if her story intrigues you even a little bit, I hope that you'll read about her. Before entering this blog, I spent a good hour reading about her, watching videos and listening to audio clips... I dont think I can really express to you how much her story has touched me. She passed away tragically in 1981 while being driven to a speaking engagement.




This video is a short interview with a young man who was inspired by Peace Pilgrim. He walked 1,000 miles because he was so touched by her message.

No comments: